[Catalog-sig] Flag to tell pip to only install uploaded files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 6 04:49:58 CEST 2012

On 7/5/2012 6:48 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> On Thursday, July 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> Last I knew, uploading a file required licensing it to the PSF. On the
>> other hand, I can find no mention of that on
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=submit_form
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
>> nor a link to the license anywhere. So I don't know what the current
>> situation is.
>>
> http://www.python.org/about/legal/
>
> IANAL but I think it pretty much it just says the things you upload to
> the site, the site is allowed to let others download it and you don't
> get to charge the PSF for it.

That is pretty much what the first version says. The current version is
much more expansive and seems to deny any license restrictions.

"The Python Software Foundation ... has no obligation of any kind with
respect to such third party content."

not even to respect its license?

... "The PSF is free to use or disseminate such content on an
unrestricted basis for any purpose,"

The purpose of any license to to restrict use or dissemination.

"and third party content providers grant the PSF and all other users of
the web site an irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive
license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, perform, and
publish such content, including in digital form."

That says to me that the PSF *and* its users are pretty much free of any
license restrictions on uploaded software, which negates the  point of
having a license. For instance, without a declaration otherwise from the
FSF, I would not think it legal to upload a derivative of a GPL-licenced
work

---
Terry Jan Reedy