[Catalog-sig] Super heavy index page

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 25 22:46:39 CEST 2012

> Too bad the tools were not taught to use the synonym above (assuming it
> would work for them). Would it be possible for the server to immediately
> return the boilerplate sidebar and header before returning the sorted
> list a few seconds later. For people, it would be more reassuring to see
> a partial response immediately.
>
> It seems to me that tools would be better off with just the list itself
> without the surrounding stuff that they have to ignore (filter out).
> Also, tools could be sent an unsorted list that they could sort locally
> if they needed it. I suspect most do not, or only need sorting after
> filtering.

Tools might have switched to http://pypi.python.org/simple/ several
years ago, then they would have gotten all what you are proposing
already.

I don't see how your reasoning helps in the current state, assuming
some tools still do access /pypi/.

I just checked the logs: yesterday, there were 233 accesses to the URL
from user agents with "urllib" in their names, mostly

"Python-urllib/2.5 setuptools/0.6c5"
"Python-urllib/2.7"
"Python-urllib/2.7 distribute/0.6.27"

There are also some interesting referrers:

http://www.python.org/download/ (just fixed)
http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/QuickInstallGuide

Besides spiders and regular browsers, the only non-urllib access came from

"AppEngine-Google; (+http://code.google.com/appengine; appid: feediscovery)"