[Catalog-sig] Dependencies

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:36:18 CEST 2012

On Friday, June 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Chris Withers wrote:
> On 13/06/2012 13:20, Donald Stufft wrote:
> > setuptools is a non standard addition to Python packaging which
> > is impossible to safely extract requirements in a 100% generic
> > way.
> >

> I would argue setuptools is the de facto python packaging dependency
> specification, which PyPI should support as a result.

I've started doing work on this front for Crate, but it really isn't possible
to cover all the bases trying to get setuptools dependencies. I've sort of
decided to attempt to cover as much of it as I reasonably and safely can
and just mark them as setup tools dependencies (vs distutils2/packaging which
can be sorted out 100%).