[Catalog-sig] Flag to tell pip to only install uploaded files

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Sat Jun 23 05:03:14 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 07:45 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 6:58 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com
> <mailto:pje at telecommunity.com>> wrote:
>> zc.buildout includes a flag to prefer stable releases, and I believe
>> some other installation tools do as well.  You might suggest they add
>> such a flag to pip and move towards using it by default.
>>

> The pip guys don't want to make this change, I guess because of the
> problems it would cause with who knows how many packages wouldn't be
> following this. See the discussion I linked to. I do agree that this
> would be the better way to do it (but I can think of about a thousand
> "better ways to do it" as far as Python packaging is concerned, but none
> of them will happen, or at least not within the timeline that I'm hoping
> for).

To be clear, I'd have no objection to adding such a flag to pip,
presuming someone's willing to contribute a pull request for it
(probably borrowing the what-is-a-final-release algorithm from
zc.buildout so we are consistent). I don't think the flag would really
achieve what you are looking for unless it became the default; that's
the part that is (at best) a ways out in the future. I guess if the flag
were present you could at least tell your users to use it...

Carl