[Catalog-sig] PyPI pull request

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Sat May 12 15:17:41 CEST 2012

Anatoly,

Here's a major issues with your pull request:

It's not atomic enough. PyPI is a massive effort so any pull request
should be as small as possible. For example, "running without sentry
client" should be just a single pull request. By combining multiple
"actions" into one pull requests, you've made it harder for the PyPI
authors to evaluate your work. Which means they'll be less inclined to
review it.

Break this up into 3 separate pull requests. It's easy to do with
branching, and the maintainers of the project will appreciate you for
it.

In fact, one thing we did with Open Comparison
(http://djangopackages.com, http://pyramid.opencomparison.org, and
soon http://python.opencomparison.org) that as helped us a lot as
maintainers is write a formal contributing document that spells this
out and more. See:

http://opencomparison.readthedocs.org/en/latest/contributing.html

and in your case, specifically:

http://opencomparison.readthedocs.org/en/latest/contributing.html#how-to-get-your-pull-request-accepted

I suggest to Richard and Martin they adopt something similar. Or they
can use our contributing rules in the same manner as Read the Docs:

https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/blob/master/docs/contribute.rst

Danny

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anybody to merge my changes from
>> https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/pypi-techtonik ?
>
> Richard told me he is busy preparing for the PyCon AU and
> administering ongoing PyGame, so no help here.
> Martin told it will take time. So, anybody else at least to review and comment?
>
> https://bitbucket.org/loewis/pypi/pull-request/1/fix-imports-add-logging-to-console-in
>
> I also sent mail to PSF requesting a new `pydotorg` account on
> Bitbucket, so that there will be a permanent home for official mirror
> for PyPI that can be found using Bitbucket search along with other
> open repositories for web to send pull requests to.
>
> In the meanwhile there few more clean up changes, one of which loosens
> dependency on M2Crypto, which is not installable in virtualenv if you
> don't have SWIG installed systemwide. Although it doesn't remove it
> completely yet. The goal is to make pycrypto an optional alternative
> for M2Crypto for an easy development.

'Knowledge is Power'
Daniel Greenfeld
http://pydanny.com