[Catalog-sig] Distinguishing PEP 345 distributions from old ones.

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Thu May 24 15:49:26 CEST 2012

Le 24/05/2012 15:26, Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> On 5/24/12 3:07 PM, Alexis Métaireau wrote:
>>> the metadata version, which is 1.2
>>
>> That doesn't seem to be available in PyPI direclty, nor via the
>> XML-RPC interface: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pelican/json

> Weird, I could have swore it was in there. We should add the
> 'metadata_version' key.
>
> In the interim you can detect when it's a 1.2 because it has specific
> fields , by loading the metadata in a packaging.metadata.Metadata
> instance
> and ask it to detect the version.
Oh, it seems that new distributions do have a "requires_dist" field, so
I can use this and determine if it's a PEP 345 dist or not from there.

Well, I could if I had the metadata fields there, but they aren't
present (PyPI doesn't do anything with the setup.py to get the metadata
related fields it seems).

Using packaging/distutils2.metadata.Metadata to guess the version of the
metadata is thus not working for me when getting this metadata from PyPI.

For instance:

 >>> from distutils2.pypi import xmlrpc
 >>> rel = xmlrpc.Client().get_metadata('gitbuster', '2.1b7')
 >>> rel.metadata['metadata-version']
UNKNOWN
 >>> rel.metadata['requires-dist']
['gfbi_core (==0.5b6)', 'argparse']

So I guess I will rely on having something in the "requires-dist" or not
to determine the version of the metadata for now..