[Catalog-sig] Panel on packaging at PyCon 2013

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Fri Sep 28 18:01:57 CEST 2012

Hi everybody,

I’m putting up a last-minute proposal for a panel about directions for
the packaging ecosystem at the next PyCon.  For that I would need a list
of panelists.  I think it would be interesting to have developers (say
from distribute, buildout, pip, wheel) as well as users from
subcommunities (packaging people tend to be web developers, but their
experience doesn’t match the needs of the scipy community for example).

The threads of the panel would be something like:
- working on a better distutils vs. rethinking the whole thing;
- what to put in the stdlib (distlib vs. distutils2);
- decide if we revise the accepted PEPs to address the known problems or
start new ones
- devise a roadmap for new PEPs.

Who wants to volunteer?

I would be a panelist too, so I need a moderator.  Nick, would you like
to take that role?

Regards