[Catalog-sig] [Infrastructure] PyPi "D" host outage

Jannis Leidel jannis at leidel.info
Sat Feb 2 14:36:20 CET 2013

Hi all,

So, I've made multiple attempts to fix the "d" mirror: I've been running
the pep381client script manually and monitored it for 3 consecutive days.
The simple problem seems to be a degraded connection to pypi.python.org.
With a simple wget one of the bigger files (e.g.
http://a.pypi.python.org/packages/source/M/MDAnalysisTests/MDAnalysisTests-0.7.6.tar.gz)
I get 46 K/s (https://gist.github.com/bdebc7d3d55617c43d2b).

Fetching the same file from *any* of the other mirrors results in ~10M/s.
Has anything changed in the network configuration of the main PyPI that
could cause this? Traffic shaping or the like?

The IP address of the "d" mirror is 109.239.57.48 in case reaching out to
the network staff at OSUOSL would require that information. I'm running an
iperf server (thanks for the tip Noah) if that helps figuring out the
problem.

I'd appreciate any help figuring this out since I honestly don't know what
else to do.

Jannis