[Catalog-sig] Probably DoS on PyPI

Pior Bastida pior at mtlpy.org
Mon Feb 4 02:42:17 CET 2013

Hello

I've been using the XML-RPC interface for the last 4 hours.
I didn't run anything in parallel, I just checked the website from time to
time to verify it was not affecting the service, and I did not notice my
queries were causing trouble.

I apologize for the inconvenience, especially to you, Noah.

FYI I was trying to clone information from PyPI into MongoDB, to be able to
hack on local data with friends rather than PyPI itself.
We will be more careful in the future.

Pior

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

> > On 4 February 2013 10:40, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:
> >> Database connections and I/O went through the roof on PyPI this
> morning. This was probably a DoS, though unclear if it was hostile or just
> a bad web spider. I am deploying pgbouncer to at least not cascade the
> badness to the DB sever if/when this happens again. If someone has a spare
> moment, I could use some eyes on the HTTP logs to try and figure out what
> happened specifically.
>
> Okay, pgbouncer is deployed and I have to get food before work deploys
> start at 6. If anyone needs something more, call me.
>
> --Noah

Pior Bastida
pior at mtlpy.org