[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Members] Howto Guide for MITM attacks on PyPI

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:52:36 CET 2013

http://convergence.io/ is a useful system. It provides protection against
MITM attacks by using network perspective: you ask notary servers located
elsewhere on the Internet to verify the certificate of a site you visit. If
the notary servers see the same certificate you do then you know the local
network is not being attacked; the MITM would have to be on PyPI's side of
the network.

http://tack.io/ is another interesting system that allows a site to assert
ownership of its own SSL certificate apart from the CA system. These
systems are useful in a world where browsers trust hundreds of CAs to vouch
for the identity of any site.

Tack reminds me of the ssh security model in practice: in ssh, I usually
trust keys the first time I see them, and SSH warns me when a host's key
changes. This kind of security is very useful in practice; I would be more
likely to accept a new SSH key when on my own network than at pycon and I
might already have all the keys I need by the time I got there.