[Catalog-sig] Use user-specific site-packages by default?

Holger Krekel holger.krekel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:02:49 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>  1. Packages should only be installed from the given package indexes.
> No scraping of websites as at least easy_install/buildout does, no
> downloading from external download links. A deprecation period for
> this of a couple of months, to give package authors the chance to
> upload their packages is probably necessary.
>
>  PyPI will need to change for this to happen realistically if I recall.
> There is a
> hard limit on how large of a distribution can be uploaded to PyPI and there
> are, if I recall, valid distributions which are larger than that.

Personally I want the installers to only install from PyPI so my suggestion
> if this is something that (the proverbial) we want to do, PyPI should gain
> some notion of a soft limit for distribution upload (to prevent against
> DoS) with the ability to increase that size limit for specific projects who
> can file a ticket w/ PyPI to have their limit increased.

Dropping the crawling over external pages needs _much_ more than just a few
months deprecation warnings, rather years.   There are many packages out
there, and it would break people's installations.  As a random example,
look at http://pypi.python.org/simple/lockfile/ - it has its last release
in 2010 and 74K downloads from the 0.9 download url (going to
code.google.com).

I certainly agree, though, that the current client-side crawling is a
nuisance and makes for unreliability of installation procedures.  I think
we should move the crawling to the server side and cache packages.   I am
currently working on a prototype which does this (and a few other
niceties).  It allows to keep all installers and packages working nicely,
serving all packages from one central place (cached on demand currently but
that is a policy issue).

best,
holger