[Catalog-sig] Use user-specific site-packages by default?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 5 15:54:33 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Packages should only be installed from the given package indexes.
> No scraping of websites as at least easy_install/buildout does, no
> downloading from external download links. A deprecation period for
> this of a couple of months, to give package authors the chance to
> upload their packages is probably necessary.

pip will need to learn to prefer non-final releases.

I was pressed to put buildout alpha and beta releases on a separate site
because of the concern that they'd be installed inadvertently by pip.

(I was then dissed by crate.io for having external downloads. Grrrr.)

I'd be happy to discourage use of external sites, as they tend to be a pain.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton