[Catalog-sig] PyPI and setuptools

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:38:27 CET 2013

> Sure, and I'd love to see something like pip in the std library.   With
> wheel files (PEP 427), metadata 1.3 (PEP 426) and the database of installed
> packages in PEP 376 it should be possible to create a basic, but fully
> functional, version of a packaging tool in the stdlib that interoperates
> nicely with more advanced tools like pip and buildout.

It would be very costly to freeze packaging innovation now.

I'd like to see a version of pip that worked as a script without being
importable by the current environment.

The hardest part would be creating a generic interface for building wheel
> files that doesn't rely on distutils (but without excluding it).

It would not be that difficult to write a pure-Python-only wheel builder
that did not compile extensions, syntax-checked a hand-written PKG-INFO
file (Metadata 1.3), and archived everything up nicely.

> Anyways, not using pip doesn't mean having a hopelessly outdated build
> system :-)

You could also use buildout 2.0 or Bento :-)