[Catalog-sig] Proposal for the bootstrap API

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 15 22:10:01 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> Buildout actually has a better reason than any of the other projects
> to keep a bootstrap file around, and that's that it's targeted at a
> general sysadmin audience not steeped in Python packaging lore.

Not afaik :)

Buildout's reason is that it has an attitude. :)

Buildout's target audience is application developers and deployers.

For applications (as opposed to scripts) we believe strongly in using
"clean" Python installations built from source, which are fairly
predictable in what they provide.

It's hypocritical to advocate using clean Python installations and
then turn around and tell people to dirty them up by installing
buildout into them.

When you bootstrap a buildout-based project, all software, including
buildout itself is installed in the local project directory (or in a
egg cache that's shared among projects without conflicting due to the
way eggs work).

>  So
> having a bootstrap makes a lot of sense...   except that there's no
> reason it needs to live on PyPI, per se.  Zope corp. undoubtedly has
> secure hosting and certs of their own, and the very thing that makes
> them need a bootstrap script means that the people who need it don't
> really care *what* secure source they pull it from.

True. This is an option.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton