[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:08:59 CET 2013

Which in particular means that metadata needs to come from PyPI itself, not
from the tarball file name.

Aaron Meurer

On Feb 27, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Justin Cappos <jcappos at poly.edu> wrote:

Having different sources for package metadata does pose security concerns,
for example version mismatch attacks by a MITM.   Unless we co-locate all
package metadata at a single source that is trusted for protecting against
these issues, this will be an issue.    (However, possibly not the biggest
threat right now.)

I do believe that if you do centralize metadata, you could outsource
mirroring the data if desired without losing the other security goals you
have.

Thanks,
 Justin