[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Wed Feb 27 20:55:16 CET 2013

On Feb 27, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> On a general note: It really warms my heart to see that people are
> warming up to the idea of using CDN's and getting rid of external
> downloads. I'm all for that.

Just to be clear on this point
1) Moving PyPI and other PSF properties behind a caching CDN will be happening, just haven't had the cycles but the foundation has been laid
2) Moving PyPI to use cloud storage as its primary backing store (S3, Swift, etc) is not really determined, we might opt to move it to using a local Gluster or Ceph cluster instead and do the origin serving ourselves since it matters much less in light of #1
3) Most importantly, this has absolutely nothing to do with the current discussion

--Noah