[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:56:25 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 02/27/2013 02:47 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:

>>> I understood there is the idea to disable external links within a couple
>>> of months.  That does break backward compatibility in a considerable way.
>>>
>>> holger
>>
>> But wouldn't this only be a change in pip/easy_install, not PyPI
>> itself? I suppose you could explicitly break the external links by
>> having them point to nothing if you are worried about the security or
>> if it's some performance issue (that would indeed be a bad
>> compatibility break, in case people are using those for other
>> purposes).  Otherwise, if it's a problem, then just use the old
>> version of pip.
>
> If we don't remove the feature from pypi itself, then it won't help the
> folks for whom its a problem, because there will be no incentive for the
> folks hosting their software that way to actually upload their stuff to
> PyPI - which means that client-side disabling of external_links is
> fairly likely to never be usable.

How would you remove it from PyPI itself? Would that just require
changing some urls, so that pip doesn't know where to find stuff any
more?

Sorry if this is obvious. I'm not a pip/PyPI developer.  Just a
package maintainer who has been irked several times by
pip's/PyPI's/easy_install's idiotic external links policy.

Aaron Meurer