[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 02:42:27 CET 2013

> maintainers.  The way pip works now, every time I do a release
> candidate, pip automatically installs it, even though I only upload it

an option to exclude pre-releases (or in reverse, an option to allow them)
does seem overdue.
reasons not to do this? anyone? links to the most relevant
conversations/posts from the past?

> well), but rather, just set the classifier for the download like you
> were supposed to in the first place, and it will just work.  With this
> change if I (the package maintainer) do the right thing, pip does the
> right thing.  The way it is now, if I do the right thing, pip does the
> wrong thing

it's not clear that trove classifiers is the consensus on how an installer
should know about the python version.
surfacing "requires-python" in pypi for installers (when metadata-version
>=1.2 actually becomes pervasive) seems like the right idea.
but maybe an option to look at classifiers in the short term? not sure.

Marcus