[Catalog-sig] Pypi cdn for hosted packages

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:18:00 CET 2013

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 6:13 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:41 AM, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com (mailto:donald.stufft at gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:
> > > Thread fork.
> > >
> > > Anyway. I know we have at least 1 major rep of a cloud provider on the list, and I have at least one off in my pocket.
> > >
> > > I'd like to start discussing (completely ignoring past efforts and discussion which got bogged down) how we can start distributing the package data we host via CDN rather than the mirroring system.
> > >
> > > Most of all, we need the code in a pull request to support it ;)
> > >

> > To be honest with PyPI as an origin you don't really even need to change
> > the code. You just drop your CDN in front of PyPI and it'll take care of
> > things.
> >
> > Code changes are required if you want to store the packages on a cloud
> > storage provider.
> >

> Excellent. Now, the question is do we bother with both (CSP+CDN) or just go the CDN route short term?
This is probably a question best asked to Noah. He knows the capabilities of the
VM hosts better as far as actual technical requirements. However moving storage
to a CSP does mean that scaling PyPI out by launching additional instances is
easier. I think he's talked about using gluster or similar as well which would have
similar properties (at the expense of the PSF needing to maintain the cluster ofc).