[Catalog-sig] pypi mirrors in bad shape

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:59:28 CET 2013

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Christian Theune wrote:

> My proposal would be to sit down at PyCon to dig a bit more into the
> code to make it more robust. My feeling is that the current client
> tries way to hard on a very low-level API (httplib) for a lot of
> mechanics. I'd be happy to refactor and provide tests, I think.
>
> Also, a script to determine internal consistency and consistency
> compared to PyPI would be nice. Then again, the rsync idea might not be
> that far off regarding the amount of work and the problems we're
> dealing with …

Crate.io uses it's own mirroring code that seems to handle things
a bit better than pep381client does (infact I originally wrote it because
of that). However it creates a full mirror with metadata and all and is
currently being refactored to be a ton simpler.

I still think for the "dumb" mirrors that setting up PyPI mirroring
protocol to work via rsync is the right direction to go in. Rsync
has way more manhours invested into it and a lot more testing
for what pep381client essentially boils down to which is "keep
these files and those files in sync".