[Catalog-sig] homepage/download metadata cleaning

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Mar 2 00:02:20 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 23:50 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> > Hmm, then why not remove links that don't match the above from
> > the /simple/ index pages ?
>
> I think we can do that, but if we *start* with that, we will just
> suddenly, with no warning, break everything.
> Its' better if the installation tools can first warn, then remove
> their support for this, and *then* we remove these links from
> /simple/.

I think Marc-Andre was just refering to the superflous links
from the long-description, namely all links which don't match
the #egg format and don't have a rel of download/homepage.

Phillip clarified that pypi served all long-description links at the
time to leave it to the tools to interpret them.  The interpretation is
now pretty clear and so pypi doesn't need to provide them.  It shouldn't
break neither pip nor easy_install to remove those unused long-description
links.

> That way we break things gradually, with warnings so that package
> managers can react and adapt.

I generally agree to this strategy but would add that we should
also consider the life of system admins or other package installers
who may not be able to get maintainers to make new releases.
For me this mainly means to aim for changing defaults in pip and
easy_install but not to remove crawling abilities completely for
the time being.

best,
holger