[Catalog-sig] Deprecation of External Urls, Statistics

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Mar 8 02:40:20 CET 2013

So I updated my script (had to remove eventlet) and I believe it's now accurate. The total time was ~54 hours so this is hardly scientific but it should give a good idea what sort of impact we are talking about.

This is a list of versions that pip's PackageFinder (what it uses to locate packages to install) could find that were not available on PyPI.

The results and script is available at: https://gist.github.com/dstufft/5088915

Some statistics:

    Projects affected (with dev): 2269
    Versions affected (with dev): 8006

    Projects affected (without dev): 1880
    Versions affected (without dev): 7586

These numbers are if all external urls were immediately removed from PyPI, so this would be the total affected. This does not test if the actual package is installable, just if pip is able to locate an url that it thinks represents a version for that project.

Donald Stufft