[Catalog-sig] pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting at pypi site

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:44:31 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Ronald Oussoren
<ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
> Now I'm confused. You want to change a dependency without testing it before hand?

How do you test a dependency without changing it? How do you test a
dependency that is unreachable?

It seems to me you are arbitrarily limiting this discussion to
problems installing software on production servers. This is not
reasonably real-life limitation. If a server is unreachable, it is
unreachable even if you aren't installing production software on a
server. It's equally unreachable if I need to download something for
testing on my local machine.

That's now all the energy I'm willing to spend on discussing this
topic. Third-party hosting needs to go. I believe there is a broad
consensus on this. Let's instead discuss *how* to implement it.

//Lennart