[Catalog-sig] pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting at pypi site

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Tue Mar 12 21:35:23 CET 2013


On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> wrote:
> As I've said, the implementation details aren't of a concern to me;
> the result is.

You know what though, I kinda lied.

While I don't care about the implementation, I *do* care about keeping
this process moving forward. Holger has a PEP that's essentially done
(if controversial), and Donald's offered to implement it. The PyCon
sprints next week means we'll have a ton of focused attention, so
there's a very good chance if we strike now we'll have this done in
the next couple weeks.

So yeah, I'm going to back the proposal that has a critical mass
behind it, and it solves the problem. My experience with Python
packaging is that there's a massive amount of inertia, so I think it's
pretty vital to get work done while there are people who've got time
to work on it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but unless there's actually
something really wrong with Holger's proposal I can't see why we'd
want to wait for some hypothetically better solution.

Jacob


More information about the Catalog-SIG mailing list