[Catalog-sig] V4 Pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting on PYPI

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Fri Mar 15 17:07:59 CET 2013

On 03/15/2013 09:15 AM, PJ Eby wrote:
> Do we even need the internal/external rel info?  I was planning to
> just use the URL hostname.
>
> i.e., are there any use cases for designating an externally-hosted
> file internal, or an internally-hosted file external?  If not, it
> seems the rel="" is redundant.

Right; Donald and Holger already gave the rationale for this: there are
good reasons for an index to not have "internal" links actually on the
exact same hostname. Even just using a different subdomain would break
simple host comparison.

> It's also more work to implement, vs. just defaulting --allow-hosts to
> be the --index-url host; a strategy ISTM pip could also use, since it
> has the same two options available.

Pip actually doesn't currently have --allow-hosts, although there's no
good reason for that; it ought to.

> Also, if we're not doing homepage/download crawling any more, I was
> hoping we could just drop the code that 'parses' rel="" links in the
> first place, as it's an awkward ugly hack.  ;-)

Well, parsing HTML links as an API is an ugly hack, but within that
existing framework "rel" seems like the appropriate semantic attribute
for this type of information, not really upping the hackiness quotient :-)

Carl