[Catalog-sig] V4 Pre-PEP: transition to release-file hosting on PYPI

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Tue Mar 19 00:37:53 CET 2013

On 03/18/2013 10:22 AM, PJ Eby wrote:
> Actually, setuptools trusts redirects, so that mechanism is available
> for splitting the hosted files to another domain.

By "trusts redirects" you mean that redirects bypass allow-hosts? This
seems to contradict your line of argument up to this point (that
allow-hosts must be simple and without exceptions or users will be
confused).

> As it stands, though, I don't see a way to support this without
> introducing confusion.  The advantage of using allow-hosts based on
> the index host is that it *also* specifies what to do with dependency
> links provided by individual packages; the PEP does not provide any
> real guidance on this point.

I'm updating the PEP to eliminate rel="external" (as it causes this
confusion and provides no additional value) and clarify that any link,
from anywhere, that is not rel="internal" should be considered an
external link.

> So, I have to withdraw my support for the PEP with these recent
> changes, as it no longer reflects the approach I previously agreed to,
> and as yet there have been no alternatives proposed to address the
> user confusion issues (which IMO at least are a big part of the point
> of having the PEP).

I don't think there is any "user confusion" problem for an installer
that does not already provide allow-hosts: just use a per-project "I
want to trust external links provided by Django" option instead. And I
don't really even think there is a user confusion problem in providing
both allow-hosts and a new option on this model - they are options at
different levels of abstraction and with different use cases (though I
think the value of allow-hosts is weak if redirects bypass it anyway).

IOW, this is not a problem with the PEP, this is a
backwards-compatibility question and UI choice for easy_install
maintainers. The PEP provides the right metadata, and there are
reasonable options (in general) for installer UIs to make use of this
metadata.

Carl