[Catalog-sig] Access to Windows' cert store

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Thu Mar 21 13:06:07 CET 2013

Hi,

the message is slightly off-topic but it might be interesting for pip,
setuptools and other developers that are working on HTTPS for PyPI.

I while ago I found C++ example code that shows how to dump CA and CRL
certs from Windows's system cert store. The system cert store contains
the certificates used by Windows, IE etc.

Yesterday I reimplemented the C++ code with Python and ctypes. I have
tested it with Python 2.6 to 3.3 (x86 and x86_64) on Windows 7. It
should work with Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 and all newer versions
of Windows. The output is usabl by Python's SSL module but you have to
dump the certs to a file first.

I'm planing to add the feature to Python 3.4, too.
http://bugs.python.org/issue17134

You can download the code from

  https://bitbucket.org/tiran/wincertstore

Regards,