[Catalog-sig] API for uploading packages to PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Mar 23 13:11:17 CET 2013

On 22.03.2013 23:33, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>> on

>>> You need to expand that, because I don't get it. Why do you want the
>>> canonical pages about PyPI JSON API to bear the name of PyPiJson? This
>> name
>>> is hard to synthesize if you want to type in directly into the URL
>> without
>>> waiting for the page to load to click a link or use search field.
>>
>> It's not about which name I want. It's about the name of the page
>> that was used to add content and which has been around long enough
>> to assume that others have linked to it.
>>
>> With the redirect from the new name to the existing one,
>> you get what you want and all others can continue to use
>> the existing name.
>

> All right. So it is the matter of using old name or the new name. But both
> names lead to the same page. So the point of conflict here is what should
> be the end name of this page. If you say that it is not about which name
> do you want, then say why this name should not be the name I want?

The person who created the pages got to chose. There's nothing much
to argue here.

> I want canonical names for pages. Names that are consistent, which
> capitalization is easy to remember and reproduce, and I want that people
> linked to these names directly to avoid double redirects.

That's fine: for pages that you create, you get to chose.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 23 2013)
2013-03-13: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13 ...    http://egenix.com/go39

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/