[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Merge catalog-sig and distutils-sig

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Fri Mar 29 00:01:45 CET 2013

On 2013-03-28 21:57:11 +0000, Donald Stufft said:

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 5:42 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>
>> Signed PGP part
>> On 03/28/2013 04:32 PM, PJ Eby wrote:

>>> That's a great way to have a bunch of people complaining that they
>>> never subscribed to packaging-sig, not to mention the part where it
>>> breaks everyone's mail filters.
>>>
>>> I really don't see any gains for renaming the list.  It's not like we
>>> can go and scrub the entire internet of references to distutils-sig.
>>
>> Not to mention breaking the gmane.org gateway, and those of us who sip
>> the firehose there instead of trying to swallow it via e-mail.
>>

>> Tres.
>> - --
>
> This problem is inherent no matter what name is picked. GMane will need
> updated and some messages will need sent to tell people about the new
> name. No matter what at least one name isn't going to be used anymore.
>
> It's not that big of a deal.

FWIW: I am a GMANE-sipper and I'm willing to rejoin a new packaging-sig
list (as well as register the new list with GMANE if no one else does).
Seems to me another viable option is to simply turn off catalog-sig and
distutils-sig (while preserving the archives forever, of course) and
just start chatting on packaging-sig. Send an email to both lists "Last
post, please join packaging-sig" and you are done.

Alex Clark · http://about.me/alex.clark