[CentralOH] That for Which I Use Python

Daniel 'Dang' Griffith pythondevdang at lazytwinacres.net
Tue Apr 24 23:51:31 CEST 2007

At 12:19 PM 4/19/2007, William McVey wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 08:00 -0400, Daniel 'Dang' Griffith wrote:
> > I've experimented a little with PAMIE (pamie.sourceforge.net), a
> program that
> > lets you use Python to control Internet Explorer. I used it to
> > develop a "proof
> > of concept" for GUI-testing a web-based I was part of developing.
>
>If the testing you want to perform is at the level of controlling IE,
>then another test approach that you might want to consider (or at least
>be aware of) is Selenium (http://openqa.org/selenium/). Selenium is a
>Javascript application that runs in your browser (supported under IE,
>Firefox, Safari, etc) that reads test definitions out of an HTML file
>and uses iframes to execute the particular test. The test definitions
>are able to use higher level constructs than "raw" Javascript. In fact,
>you can even code your tests in python and then convert that python code
>into the HTML pages that are used by the Selenium (using
>make_selenium.py -
>http://joker.linuxstuff.pl/documentation/make_selenium). You can also
>now use python scripts to speak to Selenium Remote Control
>(http://www.openqa.org/selenium-rc/) (a web application) which can end
>up controlling an browser running the Selenium javascript test engine.
>
>The great thing about Selenium over an approach like pamie is that the
>same testcases you write to test IE's behaviour with your web app can be
>reused to test the other browser's use as well. This includes testing
>things like AJAX interactions within the browser doing the testing.

Thanks--I'll have to look into that. Unfortunately, we won't be able
to use the Selenium IDE.
A mandatory third-party framework we use explicitly checks for and
requires IE. I don't
know if there is any DOM or event things that actually require IE,
but it's too late to
worry about that.

> > I've been working on a long-term (due to time availability)
> project to analyze
> > a data model (using foreign key constraints to determine
> relationships). The
> > user then specifies a set of data from a single table, and the program will
> > extract the complete set of dependent data. The purpose of this would be
> > to extract meaningful development/test data from databases too large to
> > host in a developer's environment. Instead, meaningful and complete subsets
> > could be used, instead. I have it to the point where it can parse a schema
> > (exported from Oracle) and generate a simple set of SELECT queries. As with
> > the PAMIE project, I have the proof-of-concept, but have not had time to
> > complete the project.
>
>Are you familar with the various ORM's that exist for python? In
>particular, it sounds like your project could fairly easily be
>accomplished with SQLAlchemy or perhaps Django's ORM (you'd have to use
>the multiple-database-support branch if you wanted to be able to write
>your subset of data to new db.)

Actually, I just happened across an article by Catherine Devlin, or
some other ORM.
Like I said, the project is long term due to limited time resources.
Looking into those
further is also on my list of things to look into.

     --dang