[CentralOH] My First metaclass

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Tue Apr 15 16:07:51 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:56 -0400, Sam Corder wrote:
> Out of curiosity did you ever look at any of the ORM libraries out
> there?  Django's ORM can be used outside of the framework and it is
> half decent.  SQLAlchemy is also reputed to be very nice though I have
> not used it.  I'd hate to see you reinvent the wheel without know that
> it exists and what you are doing seems to be evolving towards it.
> Don't get me wrong.  I'm not knocking your learning experience.  I
> love it when I get a chance to dig deep into something like that but I
> usually have a deadline and if I don't have to bother reinventing
> wheels I'll take that route.

Sam,

I played with Django and SQLAlchemy over a year ago, but don't remember
much.

You raise an interesting point.  I wonder how one decides whether it's
better to build your own or borrow someone else's. There certainly is a
lot of good stuff out there to be used. Even though the open source
stuff may be free to use, there is still time involved in learning how
to use it and how to incorporate it into your application.  Also, if you
build your own open source application on other's routines, you have to
keep up with changes to those routines to make sure that updates don't
break your code.  OTOH, you do get the advantage of code that has had
more time put into it.

I sort of faced this same issue on a larger scale when I started this
project.  There were several open source packages already released that
do things similar to what I am trying to do.  Unfortunately, none that I
found were directly usable out of the box or even with minimal
customization.  I had to decide whether it would be easier to spend the
time learning how to customize them or to start from scratch.
Fortunately for me, a client had also reviewed several of these packages
and didn't like the overall operation and is willing to partially
support my development effort.

Mark