[CentralOH] Mathematics and Database Design

William McVey wam at cisco.com
Mon Aug 11 16:39:44 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 09:11 -0400, Daniel 'Dang' Griffith wrote:
> There was a guy at PyOhio, "Nugent", who I spoke with briefly about a
> book on the mathematics of [relational] database design.  I'm wondering
> if he's on this list, and if so, would he please let me know the book title,
> ISBN, author, etc.
>
> Or, if anyone else out there has heard of such a book. I'm looking for
> some rigorous backing to explain/justify some of my data model design
> decisions. Or refute them, of course, if I've been doing it wrong (ahem).

I'm not exactly sure which book "Nugent" might have been referring to,
but here are some possible contenders:

Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals
http://www.apress.com/book/view/1590597451

Database in Depth:  Relational Theory for Practitioners
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596100124/index.html

  -- William