[CentralOH] cxFreeze

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Sun Mar 9 19:31:20 CET 2008

I'm using cxFreeze 3.0.3 to create frozen executables of a Python
application I am developing.  I've created frozen executables for both
Linux and Windows. I have questions about both:

Windows:  Is there a way to use a custom icon rather than the generic
Windows program icon?

Linux:  It looks like cxFreeze is missing a couple of libraries,
specifically:

libpython2.4.so.1.0 and libpq.so.4 (psycopg2 / PostgreSQL)

I developed and froze the Linux version of the application on a
workstation running Ubuntu Dapper and Python2.4, but I tried to run on
machine with Gutsy and Python2.5. I deliberately did not install
Python2.4 because I would like my application to run on any Linux box.

To get it working on the Gutsty workstation, I copied the missing files
from my Dapper workstation (/usr/lib) into the same directory as the
frozen executable.  I then had to run ldconfig and add that directory to
the cache.  Is there another way to have those files recognized. I'd
really like to be able to just copy and unzip an archive file to a new
Linux box - which is what I can do with the Windows version.

Thanks,
Mark