[CentralOH] Python IDE

Andrew Watts andrewwatts at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 01:36:40 CET 2009

For large projects I use eclipse, for small vi or TextMate, and I also do a lot with ipython and then copy/paste to an editor.

I like eclipse not necessarily because of pydev, but because of all the additional plugins available in the eclipse community.  Any given day I might be editing python, javascript, sql, html, c, xml, etc... and having nice (but by no means perfect) plugins for each within a single ide workspace is a benefit to me.

Re: pydev, if you haven't tried pydev 1.5 (released in september), it's a very nice upgrade that now includes pydev extensions.

I haven't noticed any slowness with auto-completion eclipse/pydev, but, in the past I've found eclipse is not tuned very well out of the box.  I typically increase the memory allocated to the vm and in the past I've customized garbage collection, although I haven't had to do it with Eclipse 3.5 and Java 6.

HTH