[CentralOH] django.contrib.auth

William McVey wam at cisco.com
Fri Oct 2 22:57:19 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 11:40 -0500, miles groman wrote:
> Hi - Django question (Im on v1.1):
> While working on some Django code, I found myself needing more then
> what the User model provides.
>
> A quick google search brings up the following:
> http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/jun/06/django-tips-extending-user-model/
>  - I would normally, without a doubt, trust what James Bennet says on
> Django, but this is over 3 years old...
>
> Is this still the best way to extend User functionality?

Well the underlying technique is still the recommended way of doing it;
however, personally, I'd recommend looking into either:
 * http://www.bitbucket.org/ubernostrum/django-profiles/wiki/
        This package is by James Bennett to compliment his
        django-registration app. Unfortunately, bitbucket seems to be
        down right now (?!), so you may be able to get checkout from the
        old google code page for the project:
        http://code.google.com/p/django-profiles/
      * http://code.google.com/p/django-profile/  is an alternative,
        which looks pretty slick, but I've not used it and I don't know
        what it's current status is (last version came out little over a
        year ago).

Both of these apps try to start you off in a way that you're not
reproducing the same set of profile things for every app/site you end up
building.

Hope this helps.

   -- William

P.S. James' django-profiles was mentioned on his blog like year and half
after the blog post you linked to:
http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/nov/24/profiles/