[CentralOH] Sprints - cohpy.org Web Site

miles groman miles.groman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:19:40 CEST 2009

I was going to respond to this list a couple days ago but decided to
bite my tongue because I felt like I was coming off snarky when I was
not trying to be.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Yung-Yu Chen <yungyuc at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I imagined about the content for the cohpy.org would be mostly static.
> The name "cohpy.org" sounds like a portal to me, and I guess there won't be
> frequent changes in cohpy.org.  Maybe several updates every months or so.
> If it is the case, maybe a static site would fit our need, at least
> initially.  No framework, least learning curve, and easy to be maintained.

I agree with Yung-Yu Chen in that a static site would be best for now.
 What has anyone actually suggested that would warrant the use of a
framework (yet) ?  I am merely trying to be less of a "solution
looking for a problem" person then I already am.

Assuming we settle on a static site for now, may I suggest that we use
an .htaccess file or [ whatever rewrite engine the web server has ] to
get clean urls.

As far as something to build on the site, I think it would be cool to
write some sort of SCM tool.  An example of how this might be, after
Jon gave his Hadoop talk, he could commit his code examples to the
site for all of cohpy to use.  Then, when I got home and wanted to
check out more about Hadoop, I could check out his code and hit the
ground running.  The major downside to this is the fact that everyone
would have to agree or settle on the same SCM tool (or we could just
use github, bitbucket, etc).

Another suggestion - recording the talks + cohpy youtube channel would
be a big win in my opinion.