[CentralOH] Sprints - cohpy.org Web Site

Nick Albright nick.albright at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:35:48 CEST 2009

Hello!  = )

I also like the django idea.  A templating engine was talked about and
modifying .htaccess for nice URLs were talked about, and at that point, I
think django is just about as much work as those 2 things.  But more
importantly, to allow potentially multiple people to easily change pages,
django makes that very easy.  And with the automatic admin interface, no
real work needs to be done on the backend.

So one vote for django here.  :)

Peace,
 -Nick

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Chris Chandler <chris at developingchris.com>wrote:

> Matt,
> I agree, if we start to have a debate over framework or implementation
> detail choices, then we down shift to a more mundane open source project.
>
> I think that in general we are mostly newbs to python web programming, but
> most have done web in another platform. I say lets start a django app, and
> see where it goes and if at the next meeting we get a lot of feedback to
> change it or not.
>
> scitesy,
>
> Is bitbucket the mercurial github? I'm using git, but mercurial would be an
> interesting departure, so whichever service is more reliable.
>

> Thanks,
> Chris Chandler
> 352-871-0712
>

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Matthew Wilson <matt at tplus1.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm just a lurker on this list.  I live in Cleveland.  I wanted to
>> share some history about our group and then plug a different idea.
>>
>> About two years ago some clepy (cleveland python users group) started
>> work on a big project.  It was an open-source implementation of
>> meetup.com.  We even had a cool name picked out -- shindig.  The story
>> ends sadly.  Nobody agreed on the framework, the SCM, the site design,
>> etc.  Eventually we stopped talking about it.
>>
>> Here's my humble suggestion for you guys: instead of or in addition to
>> starting a really grand project, what about doing some really mundane
>> stuff?  Maybe just start a package that collects clever little utility
>> functions written by members.
>>
>> I started the clepy package on google code
>> (http://code.google.com/p/clepy/)  to collect all the weird little
>> utility functions we all write.  It has stuff like a powerset
>> generator, a bunch of funky iterators, some string manipulation stuff,
>> a @deprecated decorator that doesn't destroy the function signature,
>> and lots of other things.
>>
>>  Or maybe adopt a module from the standard library and then improve
>> it.  The datetime module has a huge list of open tickets.
>>
>> Just an idea.
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Michael S. Yanovich
>> <yanovich.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu> wrote:
>> > I would be interested in helping with the website through these sprints.
>> > can see this as a fun and effective way to get the group active. I'm am
>> not
>> > familiar with Django but considering we are a Python group I think
>> Django
>> > would make the most sense.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael S. Yanovich
>> > yanovich.1 at osu.edu
>> >
>> > On 10/03/2009 05:40 PM, Scott Scites wrote:
>> >
>> > I communicated with Eric Floehr this week about having sprints to
>> develop
>> > the cohpy.org web site.
>> >
>> > The idea I floated would be to open source the code on a distributed
>> source
> [...]

"C combines the power of assembler with the portability of assembler." --
Anonymous