[CentralOH] Virus? In PyDev

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Wed Apr 21 17:44:34 CEST 2010

I'm using Eclipse 3.5 with PyDev 1.5.3 on a Mac with Snow Leopard. Recently, I noticed that the Eclipse startup was pausing during the 'loading workspace' phase.

I opened a terminal window and started Eclipse from there. I noticed several messages where something was trying to modify several of the "system" .jar files including classes.jar and JavaRuntimeSupport.jar. The pause I was seeing during startup was because the program (identified in the log as *sys-package-mgr*) couldn't write the cache file.

I have a similar install of Eclipse / PyDev / Snow Leopard on my laptop. I tried that and did not see any attempts to modify any .jar files.

I deleted the PyDev install from my Eclipse dropins folder and put a new copy extracted from the original download. Now it doesn't report any attempts to modify these .jar files.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on?  Did my install of PyDev get infected with a virus or worm?

Thanks,
Mark