[CentralOH] Django or Pylons in GAE

Nick Albright nick.albright at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 17:02:57 CET 2010

Hello Austin!

Yeah, I got the COhPy site running on GAE, so have just enough experience to
be dangerous. ;)  Pretty much I believe that Django is natively supported in
GAE, but it is currently .96.  It is actualy relatively easy to use a more
recent version of django, which we have done for the COhPy site.  (On Django
1.1 I think?)  I just included the django source I want used and uploaded
that as part of the GAE project!

You can see the source for the COhPy site at:
http://bitbucket.org/cohpy/cohpy/src/

Documented how you can play around with it locally at:
http://bitbucket.org/cohpy/cohpy/wiki/Home

There are some differences when running Django on GAE in that you don't use
the Django models, but rather GAE's model backend.  Kinda touched on that
here: http://bitbucket.org/cohpy/cohpy/wiki/Framework_References

We've stayed away from any patches, and are just running a pure Django/GAE
setup.

To answer your Q, Django seems to be decently supported!  :)
 -Nick

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Austin Godber <godber at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have much experience with putting Django or Pylons in Google App
> Engine?  I noticed the Cohpy site claims to be Django in GAE.  I have seen
> tutorials and patches for both Django and Pylons but the fact that support
> lies outside the official projects causes me some concern.  I am way outside
> both of these communities and I guess I am wondering whether either
> community is embracing GAE more and more likely to make decisions that
> improve compatibilty rather than break it.
>
> I would hate to start a project using one framework and then have the patch
> I am depending on disappear or fall hopelessly behind.
>
> Austin

Please note that as of 1/20 I no longer have a land phone line, only my
cell.