[CentralOH] Read-Only Database

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 22:20:36 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Mark Erbaugh <mark at microenh.com> wrote:

> But you're right about SQLite. That's a good general purpose choice and
> probably sufficient. I read somewhere that trying to find the "best" Python
> module for a given application can drive you crazy.
>
> I've actually had cruddy performance from SQLite on large databases.  It's
optimized for ease of use, not speed.

The Lore says that nothing-but-nothing beats simple key:value storage like
dbm for raw speed - no RDBMS, no oh-so-trendy NoSQL database, nothing - and
it sounds like your application would qualify.  Have you tried your speed
with dbm?  800k rows sounds like something it would handle easily.  I've
never heard of optimizing it for read-only but I bet you won't need to.

--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com