[CentralOH] Kokki, or, Server Management

Issac Kelly issac.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 15:43:30 CET 2010

I finally got all of my new projects switched over to fabric + git for
deployment.  The big missing piece now is actually setting up the box.

There seem to be a few big projects in the FOSS world (Puppet and Chef are
quite popular in ruby) and then there's this outlier that, even from my
Python friends I've heard noting about (http://samuelks.com/kokki/) have any
of you used this?  What do you use for deployment management or server
management in general?

My needs are generally very very basic:

) Fire up an instance of Ubuntu (Latest LTS) on [Rackspace|AWS|Slicehost]
) Add general dev tools (build-essential, git-core, svn, mercurial
) Add my Python toolchain (python, virtualenv, virtualenvwrapper, pil)
) Add Postgres [sometimes GDAL, PostGIS ...]
) Add psycopg2
) Add nginx // supervisord
) (And now, run fab locally to deploy something)

I would like to automate everything except the last step