[CentralOH] Python mentor

Christopher Bumgarner christopher.bumgarner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:31:49 CET 2010

Thanks for replying, Josh,

I'll try to describe some of the troubles I run into. The code I write at
first is ugly, usually consisting of lots of nested if statements. I can get
the code to work, but I'd want to refactor it to make it more readable
(i.e., get it to work without 9 levels of nested if statements). I haven't
been able to find a good resource on Python refactoring, so I have no idea
how to do it. Fowler's book on refactoring is of limited use because it's in
C. So I end up with code that I'm afraid to share because it's ugly.

Another problem I am having is learning existing applications so I can
contribute improvements. I have been trying to learn the hachoir project,
but it is quite complicated and tough for me to grok. Part of the problem is
the code is poorly documented, but I would like to learn it so I can write
the documentation (no one else will). I've tried stepping through the code
with Winpdb, but it doesn't seem to help.

I've read several python books, but I find it tough to learn because their
example code is far too contrived to be helpful. "Pizza.bake" is not
helpful, and "foo.bar" is 'FUBAR.' I mean, I understand what decorators do,
but I haven't found a book that tells me when to use them. Same thing with
generators. I'd really like to see a real world example of generators
(that's documented and easy to read) that actually solves a real-world
problem and not the Fibonacci sequence.

I feel that having a coach could help me over some of the hurdles.

Chris