[CentralOH] Python & Win32 COM on Windows 7, Office 2010

Harris, Bryan W. Bryan.Harris at udri.udayton.edu
Wed Oct 6 16:43:07 CEST 2010

James,

Are you trying to open an excel window or trying to read excel spreadsheets?

If you're trying to read spreadsheets:
Try xlrd and xlwt.  http://www.python-excel.org/

It works with both xls and xlsx formats.  And it's cross platform.  And it doesn't require excel to be on the system at all.  It doesn't need win32 com at all.
Bryan