[CentralOH] PyInstaller & Py2EXE

James - Atlantix james at atlantixeng.com
Tue Oct 19 07:08:31 CEST 2010

Hi All;

I have been converting a PyQt4 GUI into an .exe with both PyInstaller and
Py2EXE. They both work. The PyInstaller program runs a bit faster, although
hardly noticeable.

My question is does anyone have real experience getting images to show up in
the .exe version? For example, I have a few .png images that show up just
fine when running the python version of the code. However, upon conversion
to exe, I cannot get the .png files to show up in the .exe version. There is
a lot of documentation on the internet about this, and have tried several
suggestions, including the qtplugins issue, but to no avail.

Some of these issues are why Andrea Gavanna made GUI2EXE
(http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/ ) however there seems to be some issues
with it but I have not officially tried this yet. (It has been enough effort
to create builds in both PyInstaller and Py2EXE.)

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated; I have a nearly professional
looking GUI that is missing its bells and whistles due to the graphics not
showing up in the .exe distributable.

Thanks, James

For Reference:

http://www.pyinstaller.org/