[CentralOH] Opening Adobe Reader from Python

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Wed Sep 29 22:57:36 CEST 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:41 PM, m g wrote:

>> I know Adobe Reader can be opened to view temporary PDF files from the internet. I wonder what mechanism it is using?
>>

> A mimetype of application/pdf.  Your browser will parse the
> Content-Type header out of the response and determine what the best
> way to display the content is (you can change how the browser handles
> different mimetypes).

Miles,

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I'm more interested in how the browser is passing the PDF file to Adobe Reader?  I'm not sure it's creating a file anywhere, so I'm thinking Adobe Reader may have an interface to be passed data directly from another application. That's what I'm looking for.  I believe that on Windows Adobe Reader has DDE and OLE interfaces. I wonder if anyone has made an Adobe Reader library for Python?

Thanks,
Mark