[CentralOH] 道場 2011年08月15日 Notes

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 04:46:00 CEST 2011

We had four folks tonight, which was more fun.

python

   Books

      Learning Python 4th edition by Mark Lutz is good
         CohPy has another copy
         columbuslibrary.org has copies
      http://learnpythonthehardway.org/
      http://diveintopython.org/

   sqlalchemy

      .all() is an iterator

   pip
   virtualenv

      I still need to study and use these.

   CentralOH Python mailing list
   http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/centraloh

sqlite3

   sqlite commands begin with '.' and end without ';'.
      .help
      .schema
      .tables
      .quit
   SQL commands begin without '.' and end with ';'.

under Windows

   full virtualization (Jason recommended VirtualBox)
   within virtual machine, install Ubuntu Linux

Linux

   Ubuntu (best Linux to _start_ with)

      Download big .iso file.
      Verify that it was downloaded correctly.
      Burn it as ISO-9660 image to CD or DVD.
      Boot that CD or DVD.

   Live-CDs

      play with many

         Knoppix is granddaddy of Live-CDs
         Knoppix DVDs have an amazing amount of software
         (amazing mix of serious tools & silly kitsch)

            Just play around with all kinds of stuff in
            Knoppix. Just explore and _play_.

            boot: knoppix no3d noswap
            (also try without no3d; might lock up machine)

            try various browsers
            try various games
               Frozen Bubble

         Centos has a live CD and live DVD (compare Centos to RHEL)
         Ubuntu CD defaults to live-CD

   Central Ohio Linux Users Group colug.net
   Join its mailing list http://lists.colug.net/mailman/listinfo/colug-432
   You may post any way you want, _but_ you will get better answers there
   if you follow its culture which is consistent with:

       http://web.archive.org/web/20090627155454/www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html

   https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Mike_Gancarz:_The_UNIX_Philosophy
   The UNIX Philosophy by Mike Gancarz is a good book to read
   about the philosophy of Unix (and Linux) development environment.

Library Bandwidth:

   Pipes were good tonight. Downloaded a 684 MB CD image at 508 KB/s
   and 1.6 GB DVD image at 391 KB/s.