[CentralOH] Website Security with Pylons/Pyramid/Akhet

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Mon Jul 18 14:22:35 CEST 2011

I want to implement a simple user name / password logon for a website.  The website has a backend database and the user should only see entries in the database that are tied to his/her user name (or user id). In essence, each user that logs on only sees 'their' data.

There is a tutorial (at http://pyramid.chromaticleaves.com/simpleauth/) that shows how to implement this kind security using Pyramid & Akhet, and I think it could be adapted for use without Akhet. It uses a http template to generate the log on screen. OTOH, when I use .htaccess to limit access to a static website served by apache, the web browser presents it's own logon screen. In Firefox, it pops up a dialog for user name and password. In Safari (Mac) a sheet descends from the title bar. Is there a way to create a http page that will trigger the brower's log in response rather than having to design the whole screen?  Designing the whole screen isn't that difficult, I just think that the pop up dialog / sheet looks better in this application.

Thanks,
Mark