[CentralOH] virtualenv and shared library

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Fri May 13 23:24:55 CEST 2011

On the Mac with OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard), it appears that the install of bsddb is broken. If you try to run a script that uses bsddb, you get an error that it can't find _bsddb.so.  If you look in the lib-dynload directory under site-packages, sure enough, that library is missing.  I found a suggestion on the web that copying _bsddb.so from the ActiveState python install fixes that, and at least I no longer get the can't find error.

I'm using virtualenv to install extra python libraries on my Mac and I'm trying to keep the default Python as close to that as originally supplied by Apple.  While under site-packages in the virtualenv, there is a lib-dynload directory, but it is just a link to the default one. Is there a place to install shared libraries that will be unique to a given virtualenv?

Mark

P.S. Is anyone interested in using virtualenv's with Eclipse/Pydev? It appears that recent versions have built-in support that seems to be working.