[CentralOH] New to Python

Issac Kelly issac.kelly at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:08:39 CEST 2011

> I'm a big django fan/user myself! = )  Glad to help out with any Qs. :)
>  -Nick

Same, I can say here's what helped me learn django.

Do the tutorial, even if you don't know python yet, do the django tutorial.
 Read every word. The Django docs are really, really well written.

Then do the python tutorial, and maybe work through some of Learn Python the
Hard Way (mostly for non-programmers, you might go through it pretty
quickly).  Learn the basic python types, how control flow works, and get a
quick understanding of generators and list comprehensions, so when you see
one, you have a better understanding of what is happening.

If you don't know the basics of Object Oriented Programming, Django will be
difficult. If you don't know the basics of SQL, django _might_ be difficult
(hard to say from my end).

After you feel confident about reading python code, do the Django tutorial
again (I did it three times).

At this point, I started devouring videos from PyCon and DjangoCon. I still
had some misunderstandings about core Django things, like packaging, schema
or data migrations (changes to your models) and some other stuff. I hired a
consultant for a few hours to read some of my code and tell me what I could
be doing better. I spent a little money to deal with a real expert, who was
also a great teacher, and it really helped.

Ask on the list when you get stuck, the #django channel on freenode is a bit
noisy, and not always the most helpful if you don't have a very specific
question, that can't be answered in the documentation. (sorry for the double
negative)

So, some questions on my end: What do you do? What are you trying to build?
If you're looking for consultants to help you learn in a more structured
way, I'd be up for that, or someone to help you build your thing, we do
contract development all the time, feel free to reach out to me off-list.

Sorry I don't know anything about the Pylons/Pyramid world, but I can
answer, or get the answer for any Django question you have.

I love that more people in Columbus are getting into Django.

Issac Kelly