[CentralOH] Filenames For Pipes?

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 04:33:28 CEST 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:36:09 -0400, William McVey <wam at cisco.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 21:17 -0400, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> > I'm using external programs from within Python.
> <snip>
> Seems like the easiest thing to do is just call zdiff against your
> gzipped files directly and process that program's output stream.

Thanks, I did not know about zdiff.
That certainly makes short work of what I'm doing,
and avoids the /dev/fd/%d trickery.

> If that's not to your liking, then I'd probably recommend using named
> pipes created via os.mkfifo() in a tempfile.mkdtemp() created
> directory.

I'll keep that in mind. That could be helpful in case I need
to do something like the following instead of diff.

   comm <(gunzip <old.gz | sort -manyoptions) <(gunzip <new.gz | sort -manyoptions)